Well I’ve been planning on getting more of my gaming table done and this weekend gave me some time to do so.
I did this the easiest way I could do without having to worry about building a complete frame so I thought I’d share it with everyone.
With the wife’s approval I am going to be able to liberate the Dining Room table to be able to play on so I don’t need to worry about anything apart from the gaming surface.
Also since this is something I will be putting away and pulling out when needed I didn’t want to do a straight 6×4 table so breaking it down I picked up 3 2×4 sheets of particle board which cost all of $10 each.
These are going to be the tabletop as you can guess and with these I could have just left it at that (as I have done in the past) but in my old age I don’t want to knock any part of it so it will have half of a game get destroyed so I had to figure a way to stop it from moving when gaming.
After toying with ideas of building some sort of frame that would go on the bottom of the table and from there getting it all measured and perfect I decided again that this would be too much effort for me to use skills I don’t possess (ie: carpentry) and to find the easiest solution.
And I found it. I picked up 3 packets of brackets from my local hardware store for about $4 per packet and then after placing the boards on the dining table and making a pencil line on the underside so I knew where the table was going to go I placed 4 brackets on each board and once that was done wrapped the part that would be holding against the dining table in a stick on anti floor scuffing material so I wouldn’t aggravate the wife.
If you are to do this do what I did and make the brackets back further than the line so it give them a little movement but also will make up for the width of the anti scuff material.
Now it was on to the fun part. I wanted to paint this board a gray and after looking around the hardware store I came across a Bristish Paints Rhino Gray (yes I get the irony) and went at getting it finished while the sun was still out.
Originally I was just going to get the above 2 done so we can play some Malifaux or a Combat Patrol game of 40K on the weekend but I had plenty of time to finish the last one as well
And after a couple of hours they were touch dry so they have been moved into the garage to dry for the rest of the week to come out again for next Sunday!
All up the paint only cost me $7 as I picked up a sample pot so I’m looking at a total cost of $49 for a painted table which I can’t complain about!
I’ll try to remember to get pictures while we’re playing!
Let me know what you think below in the comments.